After struggling to build Atom on windows, I've finally managed to make a redistributable package for it. Unfortunately there's no official release for Windows yet, so I had to take matters into my own hands.
This build was tested on both Windows 7 and 8. If you're having issues with the build that aren't in other versions of Atom (e.g. the mac version), please email
info #at# someguy123.com with details, and I'll try to help out. I'm also in the
##atom channel on Freenode IRC as Someguy123 if you use IRC.
Note: This blog post is deprecated, the builds now have their own website, Click Here
Disclaimer Use at your own risk. I am not the creator of Atom, I do not work for Github, so I am not responsible for any damages caused by using the application. This application is provided with NO WARRANTY from myself.
NOTE: Scroll down for the Troubleshooting section if you're having trouble making the build work.
If you want to install packages, you also need to install Visual Studio 2010 C++ Express (free from Microsoft)
Download Latest Atom Build 2014-05-24 Atom 0.100.0-e7c1d20
MD5: 69251BDF49B1D24044469DDE3CDB4D95 SHA-1: 746DEDBC0C84381227478E14F98F5A5267FD1381 SHA-256: 601AB804F06C2897368CEBAD06C7A5C18D57CE72FB4E72FB91D6FB99BEF93A59
- Archived Build 2014-05-20 (Atom v0.97.0-2c5af98) (MD5: 3612AA5A12C485758601272E361BF7F8)
- Archived Build 2014-05-17 (v0.96.0 commit a83a6e5) (MD5: B4AFD2C1C5496BCA4FCE17D9DF3FEE63)
- Archived Build 2014-05-14 (v0.95.0 commit c77a6b1) (MD5: 4E43C8504F4D18045A826E0CFB988BD6)
- Archived Windows Build 2014-05-12 (v0.95.0 commit 3f0640f) (MD5: F19C74F2EDA560D2AE446389A936A2F4)
- Archived Windows Build 2014-05-10 (version fix) (commit c79ef047) (md5: A6051395993026CC940A750C88821E47) (NOTE: If you're using the previous version with the same commit, you don't need to download this one. Just edit
resources\app\package.jsonon line 4 to
- Archived Windows Build 2014-05-10 (commit c79ef047) (MD5: 62CA5F7EE9AB6857FBACE8F7DB288F8D)
- Archived Windows Build 2014-05-09 (commit ce5c29fb47) (md5: DF9BABE6A1DD39B0988853A507839AC8)
Want to thank me? I accept bitcoin @
Screenshot running on Windows 8:
Screenshot working on a clean install of Windows 7 (with mvc runtimes):
Error: MSVCP100.DLL is missing
Any form of "MSVP*.DLL" error means you haven't got the Visual C++ 2010 runtime installed.
These executables were built with Visual Studio 2010 and so they require the runtime to work.
Because Atom is a 32-bit application, you'll need to download the 32-bit runtime even if you're on 64-bit. You may already have the runtime installed if you've installed recent applications or games.
Download 32-bit MSVC 2010 Runtime
File path too long
This error is common if you're extracting to a long path name like your Desktop. I recommend extracting it so that the base directory is
C:\Atom or whichever drive you prefer, as this prevents long path name errors.
If that still doesn't work, please read this comment on HN for more information.
Packages won't install. They complain about Visual Studio
If you want to install packages, you also need to install Visual Studio 2010 C++ Express (free from Microsoft). If you already have an existing version of VS2010 or VS2012, you don't need to do this.
I installed Visual Studio to a non-standard location, and now atom won't find it
You can edit
atom-build\Atom\resources\app\apm\node_modules\atom-package-manager\lib on around line 90 with something like
vs2010Path = "H:/VS2010/Common7/IDE"; and then restart Atom. Remember to use forward slashes rather than backslashes.